Herbarium Curatorial Assistant
The Herbarium at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden is now accepting applications for a full time (40 hours) Workroom Manager (Curatorial Assistant II). Application deadline: Friday, June 9, 2017.
Assists herbarium staff in specimen preparation and routine collections management. Responsibilities include training and supervision of volunteers in specimen preparation; processing incoming and outgoing loans, gifts, and exchanges; record keeping associated with specimen transactions and accessioning; data entry; specimen filing.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Trains and supervises volunteers in specimen preparation, includingmounting, repairing, and accessioning herbarium specimens.
- Assists with training and supervision of junior staff and curatorial interns.
- Processes incoming and outgoing shipments of specimens for loan, gift, or exchange.
- Maintains records of specimen transactions and accessioning using computerized database.
- Enters specimen data in the herbarium’s database.
- Assists with filing mounted specimens into the main collection.
- Coordinates and supervises periodic inspection of herbarium collections for insect pests and prepares associated reports.
- Provides herbarium orientation and assistance to visiting researchers.
- Assists with other appropriate aspects of herbarium and Garden operations as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Botany, Biological Sciences, or Life Sciences is required.
- Experience working in herbaria or natural history collections is required.
- Computer literate, proficiency with Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel is required. Familiarity with collection databases and file management systems is preferred.
- Experience with preparation of archival quality specimens.
- Excellent people skills are required; supervisory experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of the geography of California / world geography highly desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Excellent organizational skills and an eye for details.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
RSABG offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates please submit resume and cover letter to:
FAX: (909) 626-3489
USPS: Mare Nazaire, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
1500 N College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
To review the comprehensive posting: