This position is located in the Collections Management Division of the National Museum of American History (NMAH). The incumbent performs a variety of duties in connection with the care and management of both museum and exhibition project collections. The employee is usually assigned to one or more projects at a time as the primary or back-up collections manager or graphics manager. Incumbent may also be assigned to ongoing museum collections management projects in support of Office of Curatorial Affairs and Collections Management priorities.
- Performs collections management work in support of history or cultural museum exhibitions and collections moves.
- Manages and maintains the museum’s collections with a variety of conditions, values and handling needs.
- Performs research related to the subject/collection areas for inquiries, loans, augmentation of object cataloging, in support of exhibitions or other divisional project.
- Coordinates with Preservation Services for preparation of objects for temporary and permanent exhibits; assists in the development of exhibitions including involvement in all phases of design in coordination with Exhibits Department for design and production.
- Contributes to and maintains object records within Collections Information Systems and supplies object information to team members.
- Responds to collections inquiries by letter, telephone, email, or in person.
In addition to meeting the selective factor above, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience.
Specialized Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position, specialized experience is defined as providing collections management work for a collection in a historical museum or cultural setting including managing and preserving collections; using and maintaining collections information components of museum collections and museum exhibitions, creating and using Mimsy XG collection information system and database.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s or equivalent degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the “Required Documents” section of this announcement.