The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking an Associate Registrar for our Research & Collections department. As part of the Research & Collections Division, the Associate Registrar works closely with the Chief Registrar on collection deaccessions and transfers, outgoing exhibition-related loans and incoming loans, acts as Lead Registrar on all exhibits, assists the Chief Registrar on other projects, and manages Registrar’s Office in Chief Registrar’s absence.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
1. Advises exhibit project team members on registrarial concerns and issues in the planning stages of incoming and in-house exhibitions (e.g., insurance, security, gallery environment, logistics of shipping, handling, installation/deinstallation, etc.). Oversees and coordinates the work of staff during the loading/unloading, packing/unpacking, installation and deinstallation, and storage of exhibitions as it relates to registrarial and handling procedures.
2. Provides support to various Museum staff, lending institutions, private lenders, packers, freight movers and shipping agents to coordinate logistics and scheduling of all incoming loans and the Museum’s permanent collections, as needed. Reports any inconsistencies or damage to the appropriate Museum staff and organizing/lending institution.
3. Processes, updates and maintains the records for outgoing exhibition-related loan transactions from the Museum (including review of borrower’s loan agreement, facility report, and insurance coverage) in cooperation with curatorial, collections, and conservation staff. Oversees and coordinates the logistics of packing, shipping, installation/deinstallation, etc. as it relates to registrarial and handling procedures.
4. Processes, updates and maintains the records for incoming loan transactions to the Museum (including insurance documentation, renewal and returns) in cooperation with curatorial and collections staff. Sends renewal letters for incoming loans that are due for renewal. Coordinates with relevant section the return of any incoming loan as needed.
5. Maintains registrar’s records in Axiell EMu database. Generates the Registrar’s Annual Report to the Museum’s Board of Governors.
6. Serves as representative of the Registrar’s Office in the absence of the Chief Registrar. Attends curatorial, administrative, planning and other meetings to discuss and advise on registration matters, as needed.
7. Processes records for incoming loan and some outgoing loan transactions (including insurance, documentation, renewal and returns) in cooperation with curatorial and collections staff.
This position has the following requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
• Position requires at least five years of experience with progressively greater responsibility and successful outcomes for a comparable program or function.
• Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication with the ability to write reports, business/professional correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from groups of managers, vendors/contractors, other institutions, and occasionally the general public.
• Experience using a personal computer and with MS Office and its Word, Excel and Outlook functions (PC and/or Macintosh).
• Proficient with relational databases such as Microsoft Access, Axiell EMu or other collections database management software.
• Knowledge of museum registration methods and collections management practices.
• Knowledge and experience with domestic and international shipping and freight forwarding.
• A valid California Driver License and a Personal Automobile Liability Insurance or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full time regular, non-exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhm.org/jobs and click the link of the position for which you are interested, or go directly to the online application here.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please, No Phone Calls, No Fax.